The following recipe is one of our popular requests for special dietary requirements. It caters to vegetarians, dairy free, gluten free and can be tailored to suit other special diets.
- 380gms chick pea flour
- 130gms rice flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp black pepper ground
- 4 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 380mls cold water
- 2 large brown onions sliced
- ½ large head sliced cauliflower – blanched (just cooked in boiling water then plunged into ice cold water then drained)
- 2 cups green peas: blanched
- 4 tsp fresh chopped garlic
- 4 tsp fresh grated ginger
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the water and mix to a batter (this will be very thick and almost too dry).
- Add the onions, cauliflower, peas, mint, coriander, garlic and ginger.
- Use your hands and fingers to mix to a nice batter. Will take a few minutes.
- Let stand for one hour or so.
- Heat a non stick pan and spray with rice bran oil or similar.
- Scoop portions of the batter in to the hot pan forming pattie shapes and cook slowly for a few minutes on each side to a nice golden brown – it is necessary when first turning to flatten slightly for even cooking to the centre.
- Once cooked, place the patties on a paper towel and keep warm.
- Serve with your favourite condiment.
- You can take small handfuls and deep fry at 165°C until they float to the top and colour slightly. When you are ready to eat, re-fry at 180°C.
- Once cooked these patties can be frozen on a tray and bagged free-flow.
- Cauliflower and peas can be substituted with almost any other seasonal vegetables…
By Gordon McKenzie