Rewards of an offline life
- For sometime now, the company’s been running a medical programme for every employee which is outside their CTC. They give 10X of their basic to them, two children, parents and a spouse (“if you’ve got another spouse hidden somewhere then that’s your problem, we support just one,” he jokes as an aside) towards medical needs.
- The company also has a food programme. This is where the top management pays a premium for the food that is served in office. People below a certain salary pay 50 to 60 percent, while all office bais, peons, and outsourced staff pay only Rs 20, the cost of a vada-pav, for the same food. Everyone eats on the same table. If an office boy is eating and a manager walks by, he is not supposed to stand up. That metric is very important to me.
- Similarly, there are no separate office toilets. As long as the toilets are hygienic and maintained clean it is ok. We do not have any executive toilets. Shit smells the same when it goes down the drain.
- I don’t carry titles on my card.
- I am not religious and will not touch a cow’s behind for blessings. But I use Krishna’s philosophy in the Gita, where he gives a discourse to Arjuna about good and evil, and he achieved the end by taking all the wrong means. So, at BookMyShow, what we do is we take one rupee from every ticket by making it opt-in for you (we say that in the fine print). By doing that I am collecting Rs 8 crores from consumers. But every single time, I am giving back to society. We support many causes because of that one rupee from you.
- The candidate should be extremely entrepreneurial.
- They should think on their feet. Have loads of common sense.
- I don’t want excel sheets.
- I don’t care whether you come from Mckinsey. I don’t have a single IIM graduate in my company. For the first time in the history of BookMyShow in 18 years, we’ve hired six IITians that too from the second rung institutes.
- My CTO has been with me for 17 years. My Head of Operations has been with me for 13 years. My Head of Customer Support used to be a call centre agent with me. She became a team leader, then a supervisor, and today leads a team of 270 people. Her first black dress, her first five-star hotel stay, and her first flight were all because of us. We love developing people.
- The head of my warehouse used to be my office boy. We give people the opportunity to punch far above their weight and they deliver.